Sunday, August 29, 2010

Interpersonal conflict in a team

Several months ago, we formed a team to make a research about how the waste goes after thrown into the bin. I was elected as the team leader later. Before long, we gathered to discuss about the project. Everyone got his task.

But I found Jack wasn't so interest in his work during the next few days. Jack came from another class and I was not familiar with him. So I gave him a rather easy job. I didn't know why he showed little interest. Had I done something wrong? I need a talk with him. So I wrote an email.

Another question came. He explained he was busy these days in the email. He seemed to avoid this talk. "Is this just an excuse or it is real?" I didn't know. He also comforted me, "the work is easy for me and I am able to finish it in last few days." his work was easy, but it was the prerequisite for some other work. Obviously, he refused my invitation.

Then I tried to ask some other teammates to know more about him. But they all didn't know why.  I intended to contact some of his friends, but I didn't know how to set about. Finally, due to the time limit, I had to do his part myself.

Then I came across Wang, one of Jack's best friends, last month. When we talked about Jack, he told me the truth. "Jack complained to me about the project. He thinks the job is too easy for him. He just wants to do something more difficult."I have made a serious mistake that I assumed everything entirely according to my opinion.

9 comments:

  1. "So" in 2 paragraph relates to something in Chinese Culture. People usually don't give tough task to those they are not familiar with.

    I try to limit the number of words in the post, but it is still above 250. I think there must be something that's not clear in the post. Hope you can help me pick it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooks!

    I think you had done a good job in assigning the job to him. I believe I would do the same if I were you. Anyway, may be you should have discussed with him before assigning the job to him, to get agreement from him and ask whether he expect an easy or a difficult task in the project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is mainly Jack's fault that causes this conflict. Being assigned an uninteresting task should never be a reason for him to escape from his work. He is so irresponsible.

    In my opinion, one way to avoid this conflict is to ask for his agreement right after you assigned the job to him at the meeting. However, it is still quite likely that he will say "No problem" at that time. Therefore, maybe you needed more advanced EQ skills to read what he was thinking from his tone and facial expressions, but that is obviously a difficult job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly I think there was something wrong with that guy Jack haha. If he cannot finish his easy job, how will he finish the more difficult jobs? He obviously showed his irresponsibility. And with an irresponsible person, there is no difference in his treatment between the easy and the difficult tasks. The guy Jack was trying to excuse himself.

    It was not your fault to assign him an easy job, Brooks.

    However, I think you should ask him about his interest and his expectation. And you should emphasize on the importance of his part to encourage him finish soon. If nothing changed, you could give feedback this case to your supervisor to ask for his/her help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear all~
    Thank you for your comments! Maybe he is irresponsibility.But I think I am also to be blamed for my arbitrary decision. I learn a lot from this experience. Never judge a person before you are sure enough. I give him the task without talking to him, which may hurt his respect. What he does reflects his personality, which he can hardly change. As a team leader, I should have motivated everyone to achieve the goal. I came across some other things like this ,which I almost never know where I did wrong. If I had learned more about what people think or how they express their emotions and opinions, I would do better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brooks!

    I think it's not entirely your fault. You already tried to approach Jack, but he kept avoiding. Maybe his ego is too high to tell you the truth. My only regret is that you didnt meet Wang earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is clear and concise, Brooks. You describe the scenario well. The only thing you are missing is the question for your readers to answer.

    Do you see what I mean? Did you read the assignment directions?


    a) Jack wasn't so interest >>> ?

    b) I need a talk with him. >>> ?

    c) I have made a serious mistake that I assumed everything entirely according to my opinion. >>> question? What is the dilemma?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every body hates the free-rider in the group project. It is common in NUS since lots of group projects are embedded in the modules. Communication is necessary here and the corresponding action afterwards depends on the attitude of the people. It should be straightforward and promptly to find out the reason why some people do not work and contribute in the project. Everybody knows the weight of this project and their own responsibility. It would be proper to inquire about the efforts for everybody. I realized I was such a free-rider in past few projects. I felt bad but I did not understand myself why I could not commit to that and sometimes it is really about time management and I know the guilt and significance of some projects. Try to threaten if your values more the project outcome.

    ReplyDelete