Monday, November 15, 2010

Final reflection on ES2007S

Although I know the day will come to me when the module ends at the end of this semester, I don't know it can be so fast. Suddenly, I realize that this module ends and I will have to be back to China in a few weeks' time. Backwards the past time in ES2007S, I really learned a lot and enjoyed a lot with Brad and my dear classmates. Thank you ! :-)

I've done a lot interesting work this semester, like peer teaching, resume writing, big project. This class is really interesting and interactive. I spent lots of time on it and in return, I learned a lot.

In our peer teaching, I had a good time with Leo and Neil. To be the first peer teaching group, we have no model to copy. We have to search material on internet and borrow books from HSSML. It is the first time that I seach among so large amount of English information. Finally, I got used to it and finished my presentation on business emails. It is the first time that I make presentation in English. To tell the truth, I was really nervous at that time and all I want to do was to find the right words and to speak out. It was a rather tough time. But I managed it. I learned how to search information in English, how to plot the teaching section, how to make effective presentation slides, how to make effective presentation, how to prepare for a teaching lesson. Above all, I experienced the feeling to be an English teacher. :-) However, there is a pity for me. As the first group, we failed to take the delicious feed (usually chocolate) to share with you. Thank you for your different kinds of delicious food after each peer teaching! :-)

Project:
Teamwork is really emphasized in this class. After recess week, I started my project with Sheila and Elin. We had a great time during this process. We wrote interview questions, survey questions and conducted interviews( then I fell in love with talking with the officals in NUS, so I made another appointment with OSA to share my experience in NUS. Hehe~). Although it was really a tough time to call as more survey participants as we could, we enjoy the process, because we are in a best team BES. After that, we started writing our proposal. I really improved my writing skills a lot, always inspired by Elin and Sheila. They are really kind and helpful. I've experienced so many 'first time' :first time to do English survey, to do English interview, to write English proposal, ..... Effective communication has a clearer meaning to me.

Resume:
Besides, I also learned how to write resume and job application letter. Brad and my peers helped me revise my resume, and I really learned a lot, and became enjoying the  English words. After that, we acted as interviewers and interviewees in class. That was really interesting. I got to know how interviewer and interviewee would think in a interview.
__________________I am not a cut line.:-)______________

In all, I enjoy this class very much. It is really a harmonious class. It is the most interesting class among all the modules I take in NUS. Thank you, guys! Hope we still keep in touch in the future days. My email is ghchen08@gmail.com. ( although it is not safe to put in my blog, I hope you get my contact information. :-)  )
Good luck with your exams!
加油 fighting
友谊长存 friendship forever
常联系 keep in touch
谢谢  thank you !
:-)
Brooks~

19 comments:

  1. Hi Brooks! I can still recall that you are first person that I spoke to in class! How time flies!

    By the way, what is a 'cut line'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooks!

    It's nice knowing you too!

    Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brooks!

    It was fun learning with you. I can sense you are a person who is curious and very keen in your learning. You always have lots of questions in class and is very brave to speak up. Keep up the good job!

    Let's keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Brooks

    When I read this post, I recalled the scene where I did my first English presentation in Hong Kong. That was really suffering and tough. You did quite well actually for your first time.

    I think for us, no farewell is needed. We will meet soon in Hong Kong and Beijing.:D See you then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brooks,

    time flies! you are going back soon, and i am not sure if i can see you in the future:(
    you know what,i am most impressed on your initiative to ask and answer questions. and i believe i should learn from you:)

    jsut take care, and all the best to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Brooks, for this heart-felt, comprehensive reflective post! I appreciate the way you have elaborated on your learning within the context of some of the major class assignments, and the manner by which you underscore the value of the "team" aspect of our work. In that regard, you have been such an important member of our class group, always willing to share your ideas and opinions while also inspiring others with your bright smile and positive attitude toward listening and learning.

    I always say that the nature of a class depends on the students enrolled and the "chemistry" that they add to the group. This term we were very fortunate to have such a positive experience thanks to the diversity and yet, as you mention, harmony. Your contributions were vital for that harmony. Thanks again, and best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brooks! I am so touched by your post, especially the one on project. I have learned a lot from you too (especially chinese), and i hope we will keep in touch (facebook, not renren, i cant read. haha.)

    Wish you all the best in your future endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brooks! :D

    Your post made me recall what I experienced with my peer teaching and project teammates :).
    I feel somethings are lost after this semester. They are the chances to learn with classmates, to listen to Brad's stories, to listen to your opinions in class.

    I will never forget you Brooks :D.
    Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Yong Feng!
    Yeah, I am really lucky to know you. I still remember the first day when we meet, I was a little nervous at that time. :-)
    As for the cut line, it means a boundary between the two parts. Actually, It means nothing, I just want to make fun. :-)

    I will remember your kindness and humour. Keep in touch~
    :-)
    Brooks~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Riyan,
    Very nice to know you in this class. I can still remember that I raised too many tough questions in the mock interview. I want to say sorry to you. Hope you can learn something from the mock interview.

    Time really flies, it comes to an end of our module, but it is not the end of our friendship.
    Keep in touch~ Good luck with your exams~
    :-)
    Brooks~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Edmund,
    Thank you for your praise. Actually, I also learnt a lot from you. I can tell you are a charming person. Everytime you speak, I am attracted by your voice and your content. I believe you will have a bright future.
    :-)
    Let's keep in touch~
    Brooks~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Leo~
    Yeah, we are growing all the way together. See you in Hong Kong~
    Brooks~
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Senlin,
    Thank you for your bless. I also learnt a lot from your skills in expressing yourself, clear and proper. :-)
    If you go to Beijing some day in the future, you can go to meet me. just tell me in the email. I hope we can meet again.:-)
    Let's keep in touch~ fight our way towards our dream.
    Brooks~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Brad,
    Thank you for your great effort to make this class interesting and memoriable. I really learnt a lot in this class.
    Thank you for your engouragement. I will continue my way to my dream. :-)
    Wish you a happy life everyday.
    :-)
    Brooks~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sheila,
    I am really happy to meet you in this class. The most important I learn from you is to keep smiling, even when faced with many difficulties.

    I believe you will find what you are interested and do it with passion. Keep smiling.:-)
    Brooks~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Hau,
    Thank you for your encouragement. I share my opinions in class, because I want to listen to others' opinions and I enjoy the proactive atmosphere. Thank you, Hau. For your stories, shared opinions and your kindness. :-)
    Wish you all the best in your future endeavor!
    :-)
    Brooks~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yup, you are such a star in this class. I am glad you have learnt so much from this class and NUS>.< It would be very beneficial for students from mainland universities since there is no systematic English communication class focusing on the techniques and guideline. Most of the English class are too meritocratic on passing exams like CET4 and CET 6 for universities and GRE, TOEFL for overseas. This module really gives the context and environment for English speaking and most of the important thing is to know how to communicate like U attitude instead of focusing on English. I hope you could encourage your future friends to choose this module when they come over for exchange.

    Well done in this module, and keep in touch.

    Best wishes,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Brooks,

    It was really nice knowing you from the ES2007S class.

    I always admire you for being able to voice out your ideas very freely in class and providing so much insights to the problems.

    And I will definitely not forget the mock interview where you and Nan were 'fighting' in front of me.

    Anyways, best wishes and stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete